Many Americans are coping with increasing prices, including rising energy bills. We know our customers count on us every day for the energy they need and recognize our role in keeping bills as low as possible as energy prices surge.
The cost of Basic Service (energy/electricity) changes twice a year in Massachusetts for Eversource customers – on January 1 and July 1. Eversource has filed with the Department of Public Utilities (DPU), the new cost of energy supply beginning January 1, 2023.
As you know, Eversource does not produce electricity, but purchases energy to meet customers’ electric needs throughout the year. Eversource does not earn a profit on the cost of energy and charges customers only what the company pays in the energy market.
Beginning January 1, pending approval by the DPU, the average residential Eversource electric customer in Eastern MA using 600 kWh will see a 23% or $47 increase to their total bill. Eversource serves Basic Service to 29% of Eversource customers in Eastern MA.
This increase does not apply to customers that receive energy from another supplier or through municipal aggregation. A customer’s total bill amount depends on their energy use, the type of rate they are on, and weather conditions.
The increase is a result of record-high natural gas prices, primarily driven by the Russian and Ukraine conflict. This is especially impactful here in New England, where natural gas is used to generate much of the region’s electricity.
While adjustments to other components of the bill take effect January 1, 2023, rising energy costs are the primary factor impacting customers’ total monthly bills. We will share those other adjustments with you when we receive more information.
Programs to Help Customers
We recognize the financial burden this places on customers who are already facing higher prices on everyday goods and services.
To help customers through this time, we offer programs to lessen the impact on their bill by helping better manage energy use and providing direct assistance to those in need. Customers are encouraged to:
· Take advantage of our Heating Cost Calculator to see how adjustments to your thermostat can help them save energy.
· Schedule a virtual home pre-assessment with an energy technician to identify energy-saving opportunities in your home. CALL 1-866-527-SAVE (7283) TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOME ENERGY ASSESSMENTS.
· Enroll in Budget Billing to set up predictable monthly payments and even out bill spikes during heating and cooling seasons.
· Compare rates offered by other electric suppliers and choose the option that works best for them.
· Learn about special assistance programs to lower your monthly payments, forgive past due balances or spread payments out over time.
We encourage all customers to review our programs and ways to manage or get help with their bill at Eversource.com/winter-bill..
Thank you for your consideration, and please contact me if you have any questions.
Annemarie B. Walsh
Community Relations & Economic Development Specialist
247 Station Drive, Westwood, MA 02090 – Waltham AWC
Office: (781) 314-5043 | Cell: (617) 327-6152