Town of Burlington Veteran Tax abatements

***The assessor's office handles all abatement/exemption applications and can answer specific questions you may have. Assessor's office information:***

Real Estate Exemptions:

Real Estate Exemptions FAQ

What does the official VA summary of benefits letter look like that the assessor's office is asking for?  Sample of VA statement of benefits letter

When does the annual VA Summary of benefits letter get mailed? Usually the June timeframe of each year.

What if I didn't receive a letter? 

You can call the VA directly (1-800-827-1000) and request another one be sent to your home address. ***In the town of Burlington the assessor's office REQUIRES it to be dated in June of that current year in order to apply for tax abatements. Make sure the VA sends you the appropriate dated summary. 

When do I apply for a real estate abatement through the town of Burlington?  

October 1st of the current year. If you have received an abetment in the past the assessors office will mail you out a renewal application. If this is your first year applying please stop by or call the assessor's office on October 1st to apply. The Assessor's office information is linked at the top of this page. 


Vehicle Excise Tax Abatements:

Excise Tax Exemptions

Chapter 60A, Section 1 of the Massachusetts General Laws provides excise tax exemptions for vehicles owned by non-resident military*, certain disabled individuals and veterans, ex-prisoners of war and their surviving spouses** and certain charitable organizations. Please contact your local assessor for further details on eligibility.

*Under the Soldier and Sailors Relief Act, 50 USCA S.574 App., this exemption is available to those in the service whose domicile is not in MA but who are in residence in this state pursuant to military orders and who register their autos (either individually or jointly with a spouse) in this state for personal (non-business) use. The serviceperson need not be stationed in MA but may be stationed in a border state. For eligibility, the serviceperson must present a letter from the commanding officer to the local assessor stating non-residence, military stationed status. A MA resident who is sent to another state pursuant to military orders but does not cancel his/her registration is not eligible for this exemption. Leased vehicles are also not eligible for this exemption; however, the serviceperson should check the leasing contract or inquire of the leasing company if it will pay on his/her behalf. Also, there is no obligation for a non-resident military serviceperson to register a car in MA if it was purchased, titled, and registered in the home state. The home state registration may be retained indefinitely, regardless of where stationed in the country. The only requirement is that insurance coverage at least equal to MA minimum levels be carried.

**For ex-prisoners of war and their surviving spouses, the law allowing the exemption for the motor vehicle excise must be accepted by the city or town to be applicable.

Town of Burlington's Application can be found at: